What we fail to realize is that taking care of our skin is not a complicated task; it only takes a few minutes of your time every day. All that you have to do is –
- Pay attention to how your skin feels and looks
- Set up a consistent skincare routine
- Follow it diligently
Voila! You will end up achieving beautiful skin in no time.
But there is also a sizable population who do not take care of their skin just because they do not know how to. This blog is for them as we address ten frequently asked questions about skincare.
1. What are the basic skincare products I should have?
Here are the top skincare products you must have –
- Get a gentle face wash; wash at least twice a day.
- Supplement your face wash with an oxidizing serum. It helps your skin to defend and repair any DNA damage.
- Get a hydrating moisturizer. It helps your skin to stay hydrated and keeps it away from over-oiliness or dryness. Both these conditions are harmful and can cause skin conditions like acne.
- Use sunscreen with at least 30 SPF and apply it at least twice a day. It will protect you from harmful UV rays.
- Get retinol or retinoid and apply it at night to boost collagen production.
2. What is my skin type?
Skin can be classified into different categories like oily, normal, dry, sensitive, and combination. You should also understand that your skin type won’t stay the same as you age. Due to various factors like hormones, diet, and lifestyle, the skin type and texture will change as years pass by.
Knowing your skin type is important to choose the best skin care product that works well with your skin. If you are not sure how to find your skin type, visit us now. We will perform a skin analysis to find your skin type.
3. Why do I get acne?
Acne can be caused due to multiple reasons. But most of the time, it is due to excess sebum oil production and clogging of pores. Researchers also state that hormone levels play a vital role in acne production. Acne is quite common in young adults; a vast majority of people have acne breakouts at least once before they turn 30. It is also widely believed that stress can cause acne. However, there is no conclusive evidence supporting it.
4. How to stop my skin from breaking out?
Keep your skin clean by getting rid of all the dead skin cells, extra oil, and impurities from the surface. You could also use over-the-counter products to prevent and get rid of breakouts. However, most of these products would leave your skin dry. So make sure to use a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated. Note: Limit your makeup during this period.
5. How to avoid wrinkles?
Unfortunately, wrinkles are not something one can avoid totally. They are the byproducts of aging. However, we can delay their onset or minimize their appearance on the skin. Some ways to do it include –
- Limit exposure to the sun by applying sunscreen multiple times a day.
- Use skin care products that contain retinoids and antioxidants. They help in reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Undergo treatments like botox and dermal fillers for long-lasting results.
6. How to take care of sensitive skin?
It’s all about being gentle with your skin. If you have sensitive skin, then wash your face gently and avoid using any harsh cleansers (especially the ones containing SLS and parabens). Also, make sure to stay away from products containing any other ingredients that cause skin irritation. When choosing skin care products, pick those that are specifically formulated and manufactured for sensitive skin.
7. How to prevent skin from sagging?
As we age, the production of elastin and collagen starts reducing. This would give rise to the natural sagging of our skin. This cannot be stopped, but you can take steps to prevent or slow down the process. Sun is the main antagonist to most of your skin problems, including sagginess. So stay away from it or use sunscreen regularly. You should also use products with antioxidants and retinoids to improve the appearance of your skin.
8. How to treat dark spots?
Dark spots are produced due to a myriad of reasons. The treatment varies based on the cause of the spots. For instance, sunspots are usually treated with lasers. However, those spots associated with melasma and hyperpigmentation are best treated with peels as lasers can exacerbate it. If you are looking to even out the skin tone and lighten the pigmentation, then Vitamin C serums can help. But the best way to avoid getting any dark spots in the first place is by using a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
9. How to reduce oil production in the skin?
It is best to wash your skin not more than twice a day with a gentle exfoliating skin cleanser. Stay away from using any harsh products to treat oily skin. Keep an eye on your diet as it can worsen the condition. Stay away from fried food, sugar, and salt.
10. How much skincare is too much?
On the other end of the spectrum, you have people who tend to become overprotective of their skin and overdo skincare. Your goal should be to make your skin feeling soft to the touch and hydrated. It shouldn’t feel dry, or squeaky clean, or even tight after applying skincare products. When you are experiencing this, it means you are overdoing your skincare.
You can also try reaching out to us to check the optimum skincare routine for your skin type. To book an appointment with us, click here.