We all want to look healthy and youthful. If there’s one thing about our body that people consider as a symbol of the above two characteristics, it has to be the hair. And that explains why hair loss is considered one of the biggest causes of stress among people today.
There are multiple reasons for hair loss. It ranges from a person’s diet to genetic conditions. Luckily, you can regrow your lost hair, and the best way to do it is through a hair transplant. Advancements in modern technologies have ensured that great results are obtained for those adopting this treatment.
What is a Hair transplant?
In a hair transplant procedure, we move hair from a healthy area of your head to the bald area. To be more precise, hair follicles from the healthy area (also called the donor area) where the hair is dense are removed and then implanted into the tiny slits on the affected area of the scalp. The hair is typically removed either from the back or side of the head. We perform this procedure under local anesthesia.
Types of hair transplants?
There are mainly two types of hair transplant procedures viz—Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplant ( FUT) or Strip Surgery. For any given patient, we pick the procedure based on the level of baldness. However, for both procedures, the initial process remains the same – we clean the scalp and inject the anesthetic to numb the donor area.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): In this method, we will remove the follicles one by one from the donor area using a tiny punch tool. This way, there is no need for stitches. The recovery is faster in this technique and scarring is minimal.
- Follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS): In this method, we will remove a strip of skin and divide it into individual grafts. Usually, the strip is 6 to 10 inches long. This totally depends on the extent of baldness, the number of grafts required, and the donor scalp elasticity. The area is then closed with stitches. Every individual graft has the capability to grow its own hair. We will then clean and numb the area that is to be treated (bald area). Then, by using a needle or scalpel, we will create holes or slits and carefully place one graft after another in each hole.
Who needs a hair transplant?
The following types of people are the perfect candidates for getting a hair transplant –
- Men experiencing male pattern baldness.
- People who lost hair due to scalp injury /trauma
- Certain skin disorders cause scarring alopecia after the disease is inactive
- Women with female androgenetic alopecia with moderate to severe thinning of hair.
- Beard or eyebrow transplant in people with sparse hairs
During your consultation with us, we will check your donor scalp to see if you have healthy hair. In cases where the bald patch is not due to male pattern hair loss, we will check whether the area to be treated has the ability to grow hair by doing a skin biopsy. Few blood tests are required before the surgery to see if you are medically fit for it.
Is hair transplants painful?
Since this is a surgical procedure, you would be given a local anesthetic to numb the pain. Hair transplantation today has become a less painful procedure today, thanks to various tools and techniques that have cropped up recently.
In fact, the highest pain you would feel is while administering anesthesia, during which you might feel a tiny sting. After that, you will not feel any pain and will be comfortable during the entire procedure. The FUE procedure is less painful than the FUT procedure.
What to expect after a hair transplant?
You will have to wear a bandage for one or two days after the procedure. There might be some swelling and redness in the treated area. Anti-inflammatory and antibiotic drugs will be prescribed to you for the next four-five days. Most people will go back to their normal life the following week after the procedure.
The transplanted hair would fall out in the first two to three weeks. Usually, it would take eight to twelve months for you to see the growth of new hair. If needed, we will also prescribe hair growth medications to accelerate the growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Few side effects of hair transplant include:
- Bruising around eye
- Numbness on the treated area
- Folliculitis (infection or inflammation of hair follicles)
- Shock loss (Temporary loss of transplanted hair)
- Unnatural looking hair
- Crust formation on the treated areas
- Swelling of scalp
The risks can be minimized by choosing an experienced dermatologist to perform the treatment. You can also do your part by –
- Taking anti-infection medications prescribed by us to reduce the risk of infection.
- Taking anti-inflammatory drugs to keep the swelling down.
- Taking pain relievers prescribed by us to reduce the pain.
You will require rest for two to three days. The donor area heals in seven to ten days. You should also avoid washing your hair for about five days and make sure you don’t touch the grafts till this time. You will be given a saline spray which you need to keep spraying on the grafted area for every four to six hours.
Hair transplant treatment is not recommended for people –
- Who lack enough donor areas to perform a hair transplant.
- Who lost hair due to medications.
- Who have thick, fibrous scars formed after surgery or injury
Dr. Renu offers the best hair transplant treatment in Bengaluru and has over ten years of experience in it. Her clinic is located at HSR Layout. She has successfully performed hair transplant treatments on hundreds of patients, helping them lead a life with confidence and happiness.
To book an appointment for a hair transplant with Dr. Renu, click here
You can leave us a query on whatsapp or request a callback and a staff from the Clinic will endeavour to respond to you within 12 hours.