Laser Hair Removal
Men typically have more hair than women on their bodies due to higher androgen levels. However, it is also quite common for women to develop hair in different body parts, including their faces. What can be dismissed as trivial becomes a source of deep agony for all these women as society considers this quite abnormal. As a result, women often tend to trim, tweeze, wax, and shave unwanted hair regularly.
Now, these processes have two problems. One, it is very uncomfortable to perform. Two, it is not very effective and needs to be repeated every couple of weeks. And this is where you need to consider a treatment like Laser Hair Removal.
What is Laser Hair Removal?
This is a very simple cosmetic procedure involving a targeted laser to remove unwanted hair from your body. This technique uses a pulse of laser light to destroy the hair follicles, which removes the hair without causing any damage to the skin.
The laser emits a light that is absorbed by the component ‘melanin’ in the hair. The light energy is then converted into heat energy. This heat energy is concentrated on the tube-shaped sacks in the skin called hair follicles that produce hair. The heat damages the hair follicles leading to delayed or inhibited hair growth in that region.
Types of Lasers used
- Diode laser: In this, the light is concentrated on the base of the hair follicles (inside the skin pigmentation). As this method targets skin pigmentation, it is best suited for people with dark hair and light skin tone.
- Nd: YAG laser: Nd: YAG lasers typically emit light in the infrared region and penetrate 4-5 nm into the skin. This is best suited for people with dark brown and black hair and is ineffective for people with light-colored hair like grey and blonde.
- Triple wavelength: This is the most effective and most recent one. As the name suggests, it is a combination of three wavelengths, which makes the process quicker and more accurate. It is also the one we use at our clinic. In this, we use a handheld device that is aimed at tissues at different depths. The depth we target depends on the anatomical structure of the hair follicles. This method is ideal for a wide range of skin tones, hair colors, and hair types.
Who needs Laser Hair Removal?
Anyone can get their hair removed irrespective of their skin type. People consider laser hair removal if they:
- Have thicker hairs on face or body(hirsutism)
- Are tired of traditional hair removal techniques.
- Need smooth and hairless skin.
- Want to eliminate ingrown hairs in the future.
- Have Irregular hair growth.
- Find it difficult to shave certain areas.
- Are looking for a painless and easy hair removal method.
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Compared with other hair removal methods, Laser Hair Removal is totally painless. However, you might experience a tinge of pain during the process as the laser is targeted on your skin. Generally, patients describe the pain as similar to getting snapped by a rubber band. Factors like your personal pain tolerance and the area being treated can also affect the pain level. For pain-sensitive people or while removing hair from sensitive areas on the body, numbing creams will be used prior to the procedure to make the entire process comfortable and pain-free.
What to expect after Laser Hair Removal?
There will be hardly any downtime after the process. The area that underwent the treatment might have mild redness or swelling which goes away in a few hours. However, most patients tend to go back to their routine immediately after the treatment.
You can see instant results after the treatment. However, the results vary for each patient based on their skin type, skin color, hair type, hair color, and the type of laser. Usually, you can witness a 10% to 25% reduction in hair after the first sitting. After multiple sittings (6 to 8), you can see no hair in the treated area, and it stays that way for several months or even years. The hair growth in the future would also be thinner and lighter in color.
Frequently Asked Questions
There isn’t any risk associated with the treatment, but there could be a few minor side effects that you can experience post-treatment. The most common ones include:
Some side effects are rare, and they include:
- Cold Sores (Herpes simplex)
- Skin darkening or lightening
It is always wise to choose a dermatologist with good experience. Also, follow all the post-treatment instructions given by your doctor. In general, this includes:
- Avoiding sunlight.
- Not using a tanning bed, indoor tanning equipment, or sun lamps.
- Applying a cool compress to reduce swelling and redness.
- Inform us about all your medications, skin conditions, scarring, and other skin issues before the procedure.
- Make sure to understand the risks, expectations, and benefits of the treatment from us.
- Stay away from any other hair removal methods like waxing, plucking, and electrolysis at least four weeks before the treatment.
- Slightly trim your hair one day before the treatment as it prevents surface skin damage and burnt hairs.
Most people are good candidates for laser hair removal. However, a few of them might not be a great fit. They include –
- People with light hair and light skin color.
- People with skin disease or infections.
- People who wish to remove hair around the eye and eyelids.
- Women who are pregnant.
- People with a skin type that is prone to pigmentation.
- Grey or white hairs are also not suitable for laser removal
You can get the best Laser Hair Removal treatment in Bengaluru at Dr. Renu’s clinic located at HSR layout. Dr. Renu has over ten years of experience and has performed numerous laser Hair Removal Treatments in the past.
To book an appointment with Dr. Renu, click here.
You can leave us a query on whatsapp or request a callback and a staff from the Clinic will endeavour to respond to you within 12 hours.